LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Friday, July 6, 2012

Happy! At Last!

I've gotten so busy with my new life that I forgot to share! I'm in a new place (literally and figuratively) with so much going on. I finally found myself and I'm happy to say I really do like this new girl I've gotten to know. I have the most amazing friends and family. The support I get from them has played such an important role in getting me here, the exact place in my life I need to be. To each of them, I will always be grateful. While I am still a few pounds (15) from my goal, I have learned to balance my life with fun and hard work.

For those who don't know, I am now divorced and living on my own in Midtown Memphis. There were lots of tears and dark days. But with help, I was able to see through it all and found this amazing girl I lost and forgot. I've learned, experienced and tried (with some successes and some fails) so many new things and found the confidence I needed to get here.

The biggest news since January...I completed my first full triathlon (the Dragonfly) in June and I couldn't be more proud of myself. It was a half mile swim, 18 mile bike ride, and a 4 mile road/trail run. The 8 weeks I trained for it was more of a mental challenge for me (Would I be last? Would I even finish? Can I live with myself if I quit?) then the physical training. I almost gave up because I just couldn't bare the thought I would be the last one to cross that line. But those supporters of mine kept telling me "so what if you come in last, at least you did it!" Those are some wise folks. One the day of the race I was so nervous. So much to do and so much to remember. Once I got to the start line all I told myself was "I just gotta finish, that's it." Wouldn't you know it, I had the time of my life. The only muscles that hurt that day were the ones on my face from smiling the whole time. I actually had fun and no longer worried about being last. So I'm on a training path from here on out. I have a few more triathlons and half marathons on my horizon over the next 6 months. This time last year, I never would have considered myself a runner or a triathlete or even just an athlete. I feel and look the the best I ever have since high school and I couldn't be happier. And in case you were wondering...I finished number 263 out of 287. I was 7th out of 9 in my division/group. And I beat a bunch of boys!!! I WASN'T LAST!!


No comments:

Post a Comment